Tuition and Fees Refund/Withdrawal Policy

In accordance with university policy, tuition charges and fees are based upon the student’s enrollment status in the respective schools or colleges. Refunds are made in accordance with the student’s academic records.

Students will be charged 100% of their semester bill unless a withdrawal is processed by the Law School Office of Academic Records by the Drop/Add deadline date. The Drop/Add deadline date is published in the Academic Calendar for each semester and is at the end of the first full week of the semester. Students who process their withdrawal by the deadline date will be issued a 100% refund.

No adjustment to tuition and fees will be made if a student does not formally withdraw following the procedures established by the Law School. Students who wish to take a leave of absence, or permanently withdraw from the School of Law should contact the Associate Dean for Students.

No tuition will be refunded for courses dropped after the drop/add period. Individual courses may not be dropped after the drop/add period except under extenuating circumstances. Students who wish to withdraw from an individual course after the drop/add period should contact the Associate Dean for Students.

In extenuating circumstances a student may be eligible for a full or partial tuition refund if the student does not withdraw by the end of the drop/add period. All exceptions must be approved by the Associate Dean for Students. The Associate Dean for Students may request that the student provide supporting documentation.

Return of Title IV Federal Financial Aid

When a student who has received Title IV aid such as a Subsidized or Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan, Federal Graduate PLUS Loan, or Federal Perkins Loan withdraws or takes a leave of absence, the Law School must determine the amount of aid that has been earned as of the date of withdrawal or leave. Earned aid may have been used to pay for institutional charges such as tuition and fees or non-institutional costs such as books and living expenses. Title IV aid that is considered unearned aid must be returned to the appropriate programs.

If the student has completed more than 60% of the semester, he is considered to have earned 100% of his Title IV aid for that term and therefore there is no unearned aid that must be returned to the Title IV programs. If the student has completed 60% or less of the semester, then the amount of aid that has been earned is equal in percentage to the percentage of the semester that has been completed. For example, if a semester is 115 days and the student withdraws on the 30th day, then 26% of the semester has been completed and 26% of the Title IV aid has been earned.

Unearned aid must be returned to the Title IV programs in the following order:

1. Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan Program
2. Subsidized Federal Stafford Loan Program
3 .Federal Perkins Loan
4. Federal Graduate PLUS Loan
5. Other grant or loan assistance authorized by Title IV of the HEA

If Title IV funds do not exceed institutional charges, then the institution must return the unearned funds. If Title IV funds exceed institutional charges, then the responsibility to return the unearned portion is divided between the institution and the student because both hold some portion of the Title IV funds. If the student is required to return funds to a loan program, that money is repaid under the terms and conditions of the promissory note.

If the student did not receive all of the funds that were earned, the student may be due a post-withdrawal disbursement. If the student’s post-withdrawal disbursement includes loan funds, the institution must get the student’s permission before it can disburse these funds. The student can decline some or all of the loan funds to prevent additional loan debt.

Refunds of Other Aid

For aid other than Title IV aid (such as an alternative loan), the calculation of how much aid has been earned and how much aid must be returned to the various programs is the same as described above for Title IV aid.

For more information please contact the Law School Financial Aid Office, 215-204-8943, Barrack Hall, Suite 101, or the Office of Student Services, 215-204-8574, Barrack Hall, Suite 103.