Temple Law welcomes international legal scholars conducting major research projects. Each research scholar is matched with one or more faculty members who have similar interests. Scholars audit courses, enjoy full access to the law library, and participate in workshops, lecture series, and colloquia. They also have access to the extensive intellectual and cultural activities offered both at Temple University and in Philadelphia.
Research scholars are selected from an international pool of applicants based on the significance and timeliness of their research interests. The program is limited to full-time law school faculty and Doctor of Laws Students. Scholars pay no tuition, do not qualify for employee benefits, and are required to make their own travel and housing arrangements.
The Visiting Research Scholar program at Temple Law is a full-time program. Appointments vary from 4 to 12 months.
To apply, applicants should email the following documentation as scanned PDF attachments to Joel Houkom (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- A current curriculum vitae or resume that includes a publication record and any significant awards and honors received.
- An outline of your research proposal (not to exceed 1,000 words).
- Evidence of English language proficiency. The U.S. Department of State requires scholars to have “sufficient proficiency in the English language, as determined by an objective measurement of English language proficiency, successfully to participate in his or her program” [22 CFR 62.11(a)(2)].
Proficiency can be demonstrated in one of the following ways:
- A minimum TOEFL score of 88,
- A minimum IELTS score of 6.5, with no individual score below 6.0, or
- Transcript confirming that the applicant received a post-secondary degree from an institution where the primary language of instruction was in English. If transcript does not reflect that courses were taught in English, certification from the degree awarding institution will be necessary.
NOTE: The exam must have been taken, or the English-language degree completed, within the last two years. TOEFL and IELTS applicants must arrange to have the testing agency send an official score report directly to Temple Law.